Saturday, April 7, 2012

What Happens When I Tell People About This Project

I've gotten some pretty amusing responses to the revelation that I am working on a B/B non-anime visual novel.

husband: that's pretty nichey, isn't it?  Like, a niche within a niche?
friend: raised brow, doesn't get it, changes subject
coworker: hysterical laughter
brother: hysterical laughter

Basically people are either like "uh, I don't geddit" or  "BWHAHAHAHA that's the FUNNIEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD!!!"

The one person in my life who was like, remotely interested, was my sister.  (I love her.)  Not sure if she was just being supportive or she would actually be willing to play my game.

Anyhoo.  Have been working on the demo all night.  Spent about 3 hours on redoing a sprite, trashing it, redoing it, and then going back to the original version after all was said and done.  Argh.

I guess it's coming along.  Hopefully it will be done by the end of this weekend, though it won't have all the bells and whistles I want it to have.  (Like characters blinking, incorporation of expressions in the code ...as opposed to just the separate .pngs I have set up for each expressions.  It could also use more expressions for the non-player characters.)

As I was telling my husband today, out of all the different things I've worked on (screenplays, novels, comic strips) making this VN is most like the time I tried writing a romance novel.  Even the online VN community I'm in reminds me a lot of the romance novel forums.  Generally very supportive, tilted towards female (though in the case of VNs, much, much younger.)







2 comments:

  1. I feel very old when I realize that most of the girls are the same age as my son.

    I have found a great audience in my son's friends and his girl friend.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I know right? I don't "FEEL" that much older but the fact my coworker didn't know who Whitney Houston was tripped me out!!!

    That's pretty awesome your son plays your games. You are one heck of a cool mom.

    ReplyDelete