Thursday, April 12, 2012

Very Dry Developer Entry

Writing


Word count so far: 5889.  Doesn't really mean much though...writing requires a lot of rewriting and reworking for me.  I think I just finished Act 2...though these acts are totally arbitrary.  I don't even know how many Acts I've got in entirety (5? 6?)  Basically my method of writing is, 1) follow my existing outline and 2) write the main plot line and dialogue straight into the code--all the necessary ingredients for the 'good' ending--and worry about the other branches when I make a second pass.

I'm estimating once I finish the first pass, there will be at least a second and third "writing" pass, with many more passes for testing.

Music


Garageband for the iPad is INCREDIBLE!  Extremely easy to use, and I've already picked several tracks for background music.  I asked my husband to do the music, and he composed a pretty sweet song, but I had to tell him, "could you do another song and stay in the major chords?  It sounds so indie-filmish right now."

Anyways, music should be a cinch now.  I'd highly recommend Garageband if you've got an iPad.  Especially if you're a music-newb like myself.

Tools


If it helps anybody, I'd like to record, briefly, all the tools I'm using to make this game:

  • Ren'Py (latest version), installed on my Macbook
  • iThoughtsHD on my iPad, for outlining and diagramming the main story
  • Sketchbook on my iPad, to create sprites, expressions, colors, and shading
  • Wacom Bamboo pen, for using with Sketchbook
  • rgbstock.com and morguefile.com for backgrounds
  • GIMP on my Macbook for cleaning up artwork, sprite resizing, and filtering backgrounds
  • Wacom tablet (small) with Macbook to work on GIMP
  • various Youtube and DeviantArt tutorials on figure drawing, shading, and coloring
  • http://lemmasoft.renai.us/ for support, help, and general discussion about VNs.
  • coffee
  • tea


No comments:

Post a Comment