Sunday, March 25, 2012

Coloring Tribulations

Worked on coloring Alex today.  Have to redo the backgrounds because they are far more colorful than my sprites will be (my sprites will probably be very close to two-tone.)

Here is a test shot...the dialogue is from a different scene...just seeing how this looks.

I realized what keeps me motivated today, when it comes to art.  When I draw and color, it "looks" pretty good to me.  I'm like, "oh yeah, baby!"

It's only a day or two later that I think, my god, this is all wrong, "wtf was I thinking?!?", and start over again.

I guess that's a good mindset.  If I actually knew it sucked as I was drawing it, I would probably be discouraged and give up more often.


I gotta learn how to clean up around the sprites.  For some reason Sketchbook Pro on my ipad doesn't seem to export the images with a transparency (though I'm probably just ignorant about how to do this.)  So I try to pick everything up with the magic wand and end up leaving all this white detritus around my character.

Coloring hair freaking kills me.  Even worse than limbs and hands.  Just another thing on my long list of "I dunno how to do this."

One thing about clothes.  It seems like well-drawn clothes are so overlooked.  Most people only notice them if they're done poorly.  It makes me not want to work on clothes at all, but surely all my characters can't be wearing plain short sleeved tees throughout my entire game...can they?

No comments:

Post a Comment